As promised, I will update you my current thinking around re-opening and for plans going forward as often as I can. I must warn you, though, that these thoughts and plans are provisional and can change depending on local and national issues.
I intend to use next week to assess whether our procedures are robust enough to safely accommodate the extension of opening to our year 6 pupils. I will meet my senior leadership team on Thursday 11th June to reflect on what we have learnt and to discuss if we are in a position to open to other year groups. The year groups given priority by the government are F1, F2 and Year 1. We will reflect on whether we can open to some, all or none of these groups. Our rationale will be simple – is it safe? If the answer is yes, we will start planning. The first step in that process will be to update our risk assessment and then submit it to the trust executive. Our risk assessment will be scrutinised by the trustees who have the ultimate say on whether we can extend re-opening or not. When the trustees give us permission to extend re-opening, we will then start contacting parents, and staff, directly affected.
As I am sure you can appreciate, this process will take some time meaning the earliest we will extend opening to some, or all, of F1, F2 and Y1 is w/c 22nd June.
As a trust, we have made a collective decision to plan to welcome back our Y5 pupils w/c 6th July. That will mean our Y6 pupils will return to remote learning at home. We are keen to mark the Year 6’s time at Burford and have commissioned a film maker to produce a Y6 graduation film. Watch this space for more details.
Some of your minds may be drifting towards the summer holidays and wondering what is likely to be happening. As things stand, the school will be closed.
Have a lovely weekend,